Menopause and sex

Fetish or Fantasy, Straight or Gay it's all about sex! Lovers or Haters, Fuck Buddies or Friends!

Menopause and sex

Postby Well Behaved Lady » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:34 pm

Does anyone have any advice as to what a woman can expect from her body in regards to sex and the menopause?
I come with a health warning, I'm intense and demanding and not fun anymore!
Well Behaved Lady
Keeping a check!
Keeping a check!

Sex: Female
Sexuality: Does it matter?
Music: Everything and anything!

Re: Menopause and sex

Postby Fred » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:48 am

Sorry WBL, I have lived by the maxim. "fools rush in where angels fear to tread"
Fred
Does he add up?
Does he add up?

Postby DesertWolfAZ » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:06 am

Obviously the best advice is for her to talk to her doctor. Beyond that, every woman in different.

One common symptom is reduced vaginal secretions which can cause discomfort with penetration during sex. Of course that can easily be alleviated by the use of personal lubricants and by patient and attentive foreplay and care on the part of her male partner.

Many women experience hot flashes and night sweats along with mood swings and even depression. Those are the extremes and can usually be managed with proper medical care. Also, from what I understand, the worst of it passes after a year or so when the body has adjusted to the hormonal changes.

Generally the periods become irregular during the couple of years preceding menopause. Periods may be skipped some months and be either unusually light and brief or sometimes extremely heavy and accompanied by cramping, bloating and general misery. In extreme cases hormone replacement therapy may be beneficial. Eventually they will stop altogether but there is no way to pinpoint the exact time that happens except in retrospect.

On the positive side, the freedom from having to be concerned about pregnancy and from the inconvenience of periods is welcomed by most women. Many will also get a little boost in their libido in the years just before and after menopause provided they are in good health.

It's obviously a major event in a woman's life, but it doesn't need to be a negative experience for her. She can ordinarily enjoy an active and healthy sexuality during that time of her life as long as she remains healthy.
DesertWolfAZ
Keeping A Check
Keeping A Check

Music: Jazz, Blues, Classical, 50s and 60s oldies
Authors / Books: Robert Heinlein, Arthur C. Clark, anything of classical science fiction and quality erotica

Postby Well Behaved Lady » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:44 pm

I see the menopause as being a very positive thing myself, with this in mind I hope it is that way when it happens :)

I know in my 30's my body changed in the sense I discovered my sexuality more and I wondered if this continued as you get older, if that makes sense.
I come with a health warning, I'm intense and demanding and not fun anymore!
Well Behaved Lady
Keeping a check!
Keeping a check!

Sex: Female
Music: Everything and anything!

Postby Aahlu » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:04 pm

SonoranWolf wrote:Obviously the best advice is for her to talk to her doctor. Beyond that, every woman in different.

One common symptom is reduced vaginal secretions which can cause discomfort with penetration during sex. Of course that can easily be alleviated by the use of personal lubricants and by patient and attentive foreplay and care on the part of her male partner.

Many women experience hot flashes and night sweats along with mood swings and even depression. Those are the extremes and can usually be managed with proper medical care. Also, from what I understand, the worst of it passes after a year or so when the body has adjusted to the hormonal changes.

Generally the periods become irregular during the couple of years preceding menopause. Periods may be skipped some months and be either unusually light and brief or sometimes extremely heavy and accompanied by cramping, bloating and general misery. In extreme cases hormone replacement therapy may be beneficial. Eventually they will stop altogether but there is no way to pinpoint the exact time that happens except in retrospect.

On the positive side, the freedom from having to be concerned about pregnancy and from the inconvenience of periods is welcomed by most women. Many will also get a little boost in their libido in the years just before and after menopause provided they are in good health.

It's obviously a major event in a woman's life, but it doesn't need to be a negative experience for her. She can ordinarily enjoy an active and healthy sexuality during that time of her life as long as she remains healthy.

I agree with all of that Sonoran Wolf. All womens experiences do differ as do the experiences of their husbands or partners who in many ways go through 'the change' with them. HRT might help some women however it is my understanding that this therapy only delays the inevitable. One lady I know of who was advised to go on HRT aged 48 discovered all the miseries she'd thought to have escaped returned with a vengeance when, ages 65 she was advised the treatment might be bad for her health. An understanding partner is worth more than any patch, potion or pill!
NFN You can always tell a Norfolk man but you can never tell him much. NFN
Aahlu
The man with no TV
The man with no TV

Sexuality: Bi
Music: Almost anything depending upon mood and who I am with 0r not with.
Authors / Books: I have very nearly 7000 books here at home........

(and no telly)

Return to Let's Talk Sex & Relationships!